Moving World Congress event online for first time due to Covid-19
First time using a full digital advertising strategy to promote the congress
44% increase in registrations
The International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology (ISUOG) has been holding its World Congress event since 1991. Previously, physical congress events were held in leading cities around the world; 2020 brought an unforeseen challenge with new Covid-19 restrictions in place, requiring a need for ISUOG to move its congress online. Having never hosted the congress online before or used a full digital advertising strategy to promote it, the challenge in achieving registration targets presented itself.
Cobb Digital was appointed to support ISUOG in promoting the event and targeting new global audiences to attend its first year online. A last-minute paid media strategy was required in order to reach registration target.
We developed a paid media strategy that applied a two-stage marketing funnel approach, targeting key audiences within the industry and key markets around the globe; first, utilising brand awareness messaging to place the congress in front of audiences and then convert them in the acquisition phase. Working closely with the creative agency, we devised ad copy that complemented new asset designs and resonated with key audiences.
Our solution involved:
- A multi-platform paid media campaign across Google, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn to maximise visibility
- Each platform drilled down into specific targeting to ensure optimal relevancy of audiences e.g. relevant terms for search, job titles on LinkedIn and user interests on Facebook
- Agile optimisation of campaigns to ensure media spend was allocated where best returns were coming from e.g. platforms, networks, ad variations
- Incorporating weekly offline registration data into optimisations to further ensure efficiency of spend
- Adapting messaging and calls to action in accordance with the event timeline, concluding with creating a sense of urgency in the last two weeks
- Applying translated ad copy for certain markets to improve conversions worldwide
By implementing the above strategy and providing continued support, the target of 2500 registrations increased by 44%, leading to a highly successful event.
Working closely with the ISUOG team, Cobb Digital provided invaluable data throughout the campaign and imparted upskilling knowledge along the way, providing a platform for improving ISUOG’s marketing approach in the future.